Powers Of Attorney

We can help you with a number of different types of Powers of Attorney used in Victoria:

Who Can Make A Power Of Attorney Or Guardianship?

Anyone over the age of 18 who has the capacity to understand the nature and consequences of the document, who makes the decisions in the document of their own free will and who can communicate clearly what those decisions are.

When Should I Make A Power Of Attorney & Appointment Of Enduring Guardianship?

Before you need them!

These documents safeguard your interests in the event of something unforeseen – an accident or illness that robs you of your capacity to make decisions for yourself. It is better to be prepared and confident in knowing that the person you choose will be making important decisions about your money, your living arrangements and your health.

When Does It Start?

For an Enduring Power of Attorney, it begins when you nominate that it should. Enduring Powers of Attorney (Medical Treatment) and Powers of Attorney (Guardianship) only commence when you are unable to make your own decisions.

Who Should I Appoint To Be My Attorney Or Guardian?

You need to appoint someone your trust to make the right decisions. With a General Power of Attorney and an Enduring Power of Attorney you can appoint more than one person to make the decisions jointly.

What Are The Legal Responsibilities Of My Attorney?

They are legally responsible to you and must act in your best interests. They cannot give gifts to themselves or to anyone else unless you specifically authorise this and they must keep their finances and money separate from yours, keeping accurate records of all of their dealings with your money.

Who Should I Talk To About It?

It is really important that you discuss these documents with a lawyer who can give you professional advice about your particular circumstances. It’s also vital that you discuss your wishes with your family to avoid unnecessary conflict and stress.

Do I Need A Witness?

Yes, these documents need to be witnessed by a person with statutory authority such as a solicitor or notary public.

Can I Change My Mind?

Yes, as long as you still have the decision making capacity to do so you can revoke or change these documents. This has to be done in a legally binding way, however, so please seek legal advice.

If You Have Any Questions

Contact us to find out how we can assist you or to arrange a free 30 min consultation.